Friday, January 11, 2008

Tough Love

My friend Eric over at http://ericwithac.blogspot.com/ had to practice some tough love with me the other day. Eric was the first person to teach me the basics of knitting 2 years ago-and with much patience he helped me get through my first scarf. I still depend on him and Scott (his partner) at http://going40ina20zone.blogspot.com/ for my sometimes dumbass knitting questions.

Anyway, the other day I was asking him what class I should take at our FYS (Favorite Yarn Store) The Yarnery in St Paul. http://www.yarnery.com/ I was thinking about the class in knitting an Aran sweater. Eric suggested I wait a bit before taking that class. At first I thought he was telling me I didn't possess the skills to tackle an Aran sweater. But when he elaborated, he said he was practicing tough love with me, because of the vast number of projects I have going.

So my New Years resolution is to have no more than 3 projects going at any one time. I'm kind of embarrassed because the scarfs I promised for my family for Christmas weren't done in time, so now they will become birthday presents scattered through the next 12 months. Luckily, we have a lot of fall/winter birthdays in our family. But I was putting myself through way too much torture trying to get like 12 scarves done. So, right now, I am working on a Knitting Pure and Simple v-neck sweater for myself, a reversible cable scarf (again for me), and a pair of socks. My sister's birthday is February 10 and her scarf is almost complete except for the weaving in of ends. Ok, so I guess I can have 4 projects going-the scarves for birthday presents really don't count (I'm rationalizing here).

I also sorted yarn over the past couple of days. One bin has yarn for the presents. Another has sock yarn, another has just odds and ends, and some stuff I won at a fundraiser last May, and finally, the bin for felted projects-I made a bunch of felted bowls for Christmas presents for Richard's family and other friends-luckily all those got done. But I still have yarn for several more bowls. I am feeling less schizo and more organized about my knitting obsession. But Eric, when you read this, I'd still like to take the Aran sweater class.

1 comment:

Eric V. said...

You're right. The tough love (oops--I first wrote "touch love") part was about multiple projects, not your skills as a knitter. You can do this class; in fact, I wouldn't be surpised if you could learn Aran knitting without a class. So for that reason, as well as needing to get rid of one more project, I say still stand by my earlier decision. Love you!